Monday, September 22, 2025

Favourite and Least Favourite Teachers

    My favourite math teacher was my high school teacher, who supported our transition from elementary to secondary school. They made math engaging with riddles, puzzles, and creative projects that made it easy to shift into a more structured academic learning. Grade 8 was overwhelming with emphasis on grades and tests, but this teacher kept a positive atmosphere, provided clear explanations, and was organized with schedules for each course, which all helped us navigate. Interactive activities extending from lessons included a hands-on art project (for geometry) and a cooking project (for fractions and ratios). Both were nice breaks from traditional assessments since we were not yet used to being tested or quizzed every week.    

    I don’t recall having a least favourite math teacher, but I did have a science teacher whose approach shaped how I think about the role of a teacher, classroom management, and building community. In this science 8 class, they emphasized the Cornell note-taking method and expected everyone to follow it strictly. Outside of class, many students were speaking about their frustrations on having to focus on how to take notes rather than the content itself. The teacher often checked our notes and called out those who struggled in organization, having quality work, and had a few blanks on their assignments. They offered very little support to the students, and they told other classmates to help get those students on track. This created stress, and ultimately discouraged some students from asking for help and having to deal with the power balance.

    Reflecting on these experiences, I’ve realized how crucial it is to learn from a variety of teachers and understand the student perspective of each choice the teacher makes. From my math teacher, I want to take away how they value creating a supportive, well-organized classroom that encourages creativity and collaboration to ease the transition from elementary to secondary. Of course, from my science teacher, I’ve learned the importance of respecting different learning styles and being the adult they can rely on when problems arise. Enforcing one method that I believe to be the most useful won’t result in successful students. Most importantly, I want to make sure that struggling students feel guided and supported by me as the teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Yuki, I really enjoyed how you described the way your math teacher made the transition into secondary school less overwhelming — the details about the art and cooking projects really show how creativity and organization can go hand-in-hand to support students. I also like how you contrasted that with your science teacher’s rigid approach, and how you turned that experience into a commitment to supporting different learning styles and guiding struggling students. That balance of structure, creativity, and empathy will make your classroom a supportive place for learners.

    ReplyDelete

Unit Plan (Final)

 Here's the link to my final Unit Plan Individual lesson plans and worksheets are separated by tabs.